Norton Court Estate Cottage - No 9

These two cottages on the Green belonged to the Norton Court Estate and were known as Nos 8 and 9 with cottage No 9 being the one furthest the Methodist Chapel.  

As can be seen on the following map extract, at the time that the Inclosures came to Norton in 1807 there were no properties on The Green.  Plot No 147 was described as being a garden and was owned by William Woodward who lived in the cottage opposite at what later became Estate No 16(a).

The Ordnance Survey first mapped Gloucestershire at 25” between 1873-1884 and the resultant map shows that the two cottages now found on The Green had appeared by that date at Plot No 180.

The cottages belonged to the Norton Court Estate and were known as Nos 8 and 9 with cottage No 9 being the one nearest the lane to Yew Tree Farm.  The earliest definite reference to No 9 has been found in 1908 when Mrs Marston was paying £7 Lady Day Rental to the Estate.   This would have been Caroline who had married Henry Marston of Norton in 1855 and the couple immediately settled in the village living in the vicinity of The Green, possibly always at No 9.  Henry died in 1897 and whilst the widowed Caroline was still here in 1908 by 1911 she had gone to live with her married daughter Jane and William Tombs at Longford.  Caroline died later that same year and was buried at St Marys, Norton.

In 1911 John and Florence Mills were in residence at No 9 with their children, father John being employed as an auctioneers porter.  John Robert Mills was born in Gloucester in 1869, son of John, a horse nail maker, and Martha Mills.  John Robert had married Florence Mary Haywood at St Marks, Gloucester, in 1894, originally living in Millbrook Street, Gloucester, and they were to have seven children; Ida Florence, Gladys Constance, Francis John, Doris Maud, Stanley Baden Powell, Hilda Grace and Cyril Arthur.  Florence was born at Birmingham in 1869.  By 1905 they had moved to Broadclose Road then by 1911 to Norton Green.  They did not stay here long before moving to The Leigh and later returning to Norton to live at The Laurels, Cold Elm, by approximately 1920.  John died in 1949 and Florence in 1953.

The next time that the property can be identified is not until 1939 when Christopher and Alice King were in residence.  In 1939 Christopher was employed as the Estate bricklayer and was also in the Auxiliary Fire Service.  The couple were in Norton before this time and in 1934 Christopher was verger at St Mary’s so it is likely they were already living at No 9.

At the time of the 1952 auction of the Norton Court Estate the house was Lot No 15 and was described as follows; “A semi-detached cottage, known as No 9, overlooking the Green and containing; Porch, sitting room with two cupboards, larder, kitchen with fireplace and oven, and cupboard, and three bedrooms, two having a fireplace and one a cupboard.  Brick and slate shed, EC, soft water tank and garden.  Water is obtained from the village pump near-to.  In the occupation of Mr C King at a rent amounting to £16 per annum”.

The property was purchased for $450 by the Kings who were still in residence in 1963 and most likely at the time of Christopher’s death in 1964.


Steven M and Joanne Davies were living here in 2002.

In 2020 the property was marketed by Engall Castle Ltd at £399,500.  It was then described as follows;

"Sitting so prettily on the village green overlooking the duck pond, this is an absolutely delightful, late Victorian village home which has been cleverly extended to provide great space.  From the moment you step into the welcoming hallway, you will get a real feel for the love that has been bestowed on this home.  The heart of the home is definitely the kitchen/dining room which is light an airy with vaulted ceiling, roof lights, views to the fields and patio doors out to the garden.  The kitchen is fitted with a range of wall and base units with an integrated electric hob and oven, a gas fired Rayburn – perfect for those winter days and space and plumbing for a washing machine and dishwasher.  The kitchen leads through to the sitting room which has the benefit of a wood burner and views over the front garden and village green.  Off the hall is a ground floor shower room and a dual aspect bedroom, which can also be used as a study, further reception room or delightful playroom.  On the first floor there are two bedrooms both offering lovely views, and a family bathroom which is fitted with a roll top bath with shower over, pedestal wash basic and low level wc.  Outside the gardens are private and planted with a range of mature shrubs, fruit trees and flower beds. There are several idyllic seating areas throughout the gardens offering different views and capturing differing light; an ornamental pond and vegetable garden.  In addition there is a summerhouse/home office and timber garage both with the advantage of power and light and ample driveway parking. The cottage has the benefit of gas fired central heating and mains drainage".


The photograph at the head of this article shows that an additional cottage has since been added to this pair leaving No 9 at the end of a row of three.